Custom Configurations for Lithium Ion Battery Protection
ZARGES offers a variety of aluminum cases appropriate for the shipping and storage of Lithium and Lithium Ion batteries (Li-Ion) throughout the product lifecycle. ZARGES is a global supplier of storage and transport equipment, used in a multitude of industries and companies worldwide. Our lightweight aluminum cases are appropriate for safe and secure storage and transport of sensitive items and hazardous materials. We offer a variety of cases suited to the storage and transport of Lithium Ion batteries for all stages of their life, from development to disposal.
The ZARGES BatterySafe™ Family for Lithium Ion Batteries
Aluminum Cases for Shipping and Storing Developmental, Defective and Damaged Batteries
ZARGES BatterySafe™ cases are designed for safe packaging and transport of lithium ion batteries. ZARGES’ solutions are comprised of aluminum cases with different linings of materials that can suppress ignition and contain heat. BatterySafe cases offer all the available features of our standard K470 cases, including secure latches, stacking corners, three fully-welded aluminum profile frames, and easy loading and unloading. The cases are appropriate for a variety of uses including for defense contractors standardizing battery management, vehicle battery development, medical equipment, power tools, electronics, and drones.
- UN Hazmat Certified
- Aircraft Grade Aluminum Construction
- Standard Sizes and Quick Ship Options
- Custom Foam Inserts
- Custom Finishes and Colors
- Custom Configurations
For 1 – 1,500 Wh Batteries*
Custom Lithium Ion Battery Transit and Storage Solutions
ZARGES specializes in custom solutions, from small power tool batteries to large truck / bus batteries.
Call on the ZARGES team to configure the right solution for your safe battery storage. To begin custom configuration, please fill out the Lithium Battery Questionnaire.
ZARGES Lithium Ion Battery Video
UN HazMat Certifications
U.N. Certification is available for ZARGES BatterySafe cases for domestic and international shipping, including
- UN 3480
- UN 3481
- UN 3090
- UN 3091
Current Customer Use Cases
- Prototype and damaged batteries
- Hybrid and electric automobiles
- Electric bicycles
- Medical equipment
- Power tools
- Drones and UAVs storage and transport
- Storing and transporting dive gear and underwater craft
- Long-term battery storage
- Domestic and international shipping
ZARGES aluminum cases are engineered with high-strength impact-resistant aluminum alloy. The cases are available with custom foam liners, inserts and finishes. We can also assist with the following:
- Information on regulations and laws.
- Advice on the classification of hazardous goods.
- Recommendations for suitable interior and exterior packaging (incl. padding/padding material).
- High-quality aluminum universal cases
- Rugged fully welded profile frame
- Lid latches can be secured with seals or a padlock (max. shackle thickness .25″)
- Ergonomic spring handles automatically stow for safe shipping
- Over 50 standard sizes to choose from, plus custom sizes
- Each case constructed of extra strong 5005 alloy aluminum sheeting
- Available as IP54, IP65 or IP67
- K475 provides EMI/RFI protection
- Optional UN Certification for Hazmat Transport
- Size: ZARGES is a market leader with more usable internal volume per cubic foot
- Weight: Aluminum delivers excellent durability and weight savings in a smaller footprint
- Impervious to elements: Case withstands temperature range of -238° to 302° F; UV, water, weather and corrosion resistance
- Will not warp or crack
Since 2016, IATA regulations dictate that both Li-Ion and Lithium batteries are prohibited on cargo aircraft without proper packaging and equipment, and forbidden from transport as cargo on passenger aircraft. They may be carried in the cabin in approved containers.
For secure transport, batteries must be shipped at a state of charge of 30% or less of total capacity, securely individually packaged to prevent accidental discharge or short circuits from terminals touching, and contained within strong, rigid outer packaging. The contents must be clearly labeled on the outer packaging.
For the most current guidance on safe & legal transport of hazardous materials and lithium batteries, please refer to the FAA Safe Cargo website.
Lithium Ion batteries should be stored with a partial charge of 40%, which keeps the cells inside from going into sleep mode. They should be recharged periodically to prevent damage. Batteries should be protected from extreme temperatures; ideal storage temperature is about 60°F (15°C). Individual batteries should be aligned in a way that prevents any contact between terminals or potential short-circuits. They should also be kept dry and secure from moisture or vapor that may generate condensation that could cause corrosion.